What is “Chakra” ?
The short answer is they are energy centers. Here is Wikipedia’s definition: A chakra is an energy center in the human body as taught in Indian yoga and some related cultures. Chakras are also believed in by some New Age adherents. Chakra means 'wheel' in Sanskrit.
Since a chakra is a part of the body connected with a life energy you want to keep them unblocked or clogged. There are seven major chakras in the body and each one has associated colors, functions and locations in the body. Current science does not recognize, detect or measure chakras.
What happens when our Chakras are blocked or not “spinning” as they should be?
This is not considered to be a good thing. It is believed that if your Chakras are clogged, depending on which Chakra is affected, your health, well-being, ability to attract good into your life and emotional states can be affected negatively. Overall, it is desirable to have clear chakras that are able to spin energetically.
How do we clear blocked Chakras?
First, you need to know where they are, and what they affect so there is a chart below. Meditation, focused intent, and working with crystals are effective ways to clear your Chakras. Each chakra has a color associated with it. There are crystals that are typically associated with certain Chakras by virtue of their natural color and / or metaphysical properties. If you think of Chakras as a battery that can be recharged, or a wheel that can be blocked from spinning freely, then I think it is easier to visualize that you can recharge and free those energies. The mind is a powerful thing!
One method for clearing your Chakras is meditation / relaxation:
- Learn the locations of the 7 Major chakras.
- Find a quiet place to relax.
Picture that you are looking down at yourself and can see the 7 areas where the Chakras are located.
- Starting at the Crown, picture each Chakra, one at a time, spinning clockwise. I will picture them moving slowly at first, and as the blockage is released, they move faster until they are spinning nicely. My goal is to see them spin freely, with a cleansing white light, and to “see” the blockages moving away, out of the Chakra so it is left clear.
- I like rituals. Setting up a routine, meaning a certain space, or time, or visual or other sensory cues helps me to achieve things. I have a sacred space, and I like the scent of candles, candlelight and my crystals around me. These sensory cues make it easier for me to reach a state of mind where I can calm my mind and focus on my intention. For Chakra clearing, low lights, a quiet house when no one needs me, the scents I associate with relaxation all create an environment that helps to more quickly and easily reach a state of mind where I can focus on the intention at hand.
Using crystals to assist with Clearing Chakras
- Using the method explained above, you can also incorporate corresponding crystals to this exercise. Lying down, place the corresponding crystal onto the matching Chakra. Use a visualization that helps to activate the crystals to work with you in clearing your chakras to get the energy moving freely. Re-tune or "cleanse" the crystals when you are done before using them again. You can work on one Chakra at a time or all seven.
- Create a Chakra Crystal grid with the intent of continuously clearing and energizing your chakras.
- Carry your Chakra crystals with you with a written Intention to cleanse your Chakras and to repel negativity. Placing a moonstone, apache tear, chevron amethyst, fluorite or other crystal with metaphysical properties for repelling negative energy in the same pouch is also good to do.
The Seven Major Chakras
1st - Base / Root Chakra – Physical needs
- Deals With: Feeling grounded and secure, financially independent, feeling connected
- Physical Issues: Back, weight, poor immune system, kidneys
- Location: The tailbone, base of spine
- Crystals: Hematite, Red Jasper, Smoky Quartz, Bloodstone, Onyx
- Color: Red
2nd - Sacral Chakra – Sexuality and emotions
- Deals With: well-being, feelings, passion, vitality, family, balanced emotions, pleasure, impotence and sexuality.
- Physical Issues: Lower back pain, intestines, reproductive organs
- Location: Lower abdomen, about and around the naval.
- Crystals: Carnelian, Orange Calcite, Moonstone
- Color: Orange
3rd - Solar Plexus Chakra – Power and vitality
- Deals With: integrity, self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem.
- Physical Issues: stomach, pancreas, gall bladder, low energy, liver, muscle cramps
- Location: Upper abdomen in the stomach area.
- Crystals: Citrine, Tiger Eye, Yellow Jasper
- Color: Yellow
4th - Heart Chakra - Love
- Deals With: Love, joy, and inner peace, compassion, intuitiveness, acceptance,
- Physical Issues: circulation, heart disorders, breathing
- Location: Center of chest just above heart.
- Crystals: Green Aventurine, Jade, Malachite, Kunzite, Rose Quartz
- Color: Green
5th - Throat Chakra - Communication
- Deals With: Communication, self-expression of feelings, the truth, creativity, logic and reason
- Physical Issues: ears, thyroid, neck, weariness, throat issues
- Location: Throat
- Crystals: Sodalite, Lapis Lazuli, Blue Lace Agate, Aquamarine
- Color: Blue
6th - Third Eye Chakra - Intuition
- Deals With: Intuition, imagination, decision making, wisdom
- Physical issues: eyes, headaches, neurological issues
- Location: Forehead between the eyes. (Also called the Brow Chakra)
- Crystals: Amethyst, Lepidolite, Apatite
- Color: Indigo
7th - Crown Chakra - Understanding
- Deals With: Spiritual connection, divine wisdom, inner and outer beauty, bliss
- Physical issues: migraines, nervous system, skin disorders, emotional problems
- Location: The very top of the head
- Crystals: Clear Quartz, Celestite
- Color: Violet or White